Horseshoe Beach is an isolated, laid back, friendly fishing village located on the Gulf of Mexico west of Gainesville. Our city limits sign reads - Welcome to "Florida's Last Frontier". We are 20 miles to the closest major highway.
The Horseshoe Beach area was settled in the early 1800s. The land was owned by lumber interests until 1935, when C.C. Douglas and Burton Butler purchsed the land for $324, since the lumber company was pressuring the residents to "move on". The Butler/Douglas union made it possible for the settlers to own their occupied property. They offered each resident the lot he was living on for $10. The town was incorporated in 1963. The town now has a restaurant, full-service marina, ice cream shop, two churches, a number of comfortable rental cabins, a waterfront park, and a general store.